Lisa Loses Her Cool

Author: Lisa /

From Wednesday, March 11, continued
Weary after another long day's work with not a minute of downtime, my mood took a dip South during our group reflection time known as "Roses and Thorns." I was dirty and irritated, the evening schedule beginning even before I was able to take my customary post-workday shower. We were made to watch a video about a Re-Member board member's recent trip to the Rez. It may even have been a JMU alum who made the video. I'm sure it would have been poignant...if this were orientation. We attend programs every morning and evening about Lakota culture and their current struggles. We work every day to try and alleviate the situation where possible - sometimes to the point of exhaustion - every hour scheduled, every second of every day surrounded by three dozen strangers in a dusty barn. To be, in my estimation, preached to outside of the designated hour was an intrusion and a violation of my time. I needed that hour of downtime to ground myself and refocus. Not having it erroded both my sense of self and my ability to fulfill my role to the students as the "grown up." And I needed that shower, dammit.

Several hours later, I finally got to shower, and was amazed how it helped to lighten my disposition. The JMU students helped bring me all the way back to centered, with a group of us staying up late into the night chatting and laughing in the kitchen. The night ended on a good note. Tuesday was over.


JMU students process the day together in the Re-Member kitchen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The talk that night was definitely the best for most of us in a while

Lisa said...

You mean our JMU talk, Kate, or the Roses & Thorns talk? Because I'll feel bad if you guys all got something great out of R&T and I was grousing the whole time. :)

Post a Comment